May 12, 1748
War; finally over…for now.

           I am 21 years old. The last time I wrote was six years ago, yet it feels like yesterday. Back in 1740, the War of Austrian Succession erupted and I was called for duty. The war was initiated when Frederick II of Prussia took Silesia from the Austrians. Austria allied with the Dutch republic and Britain, while France supported Prussia. In Ghent, where the British military took position near the start of the war, I was promoted to Lieutenant and a major to my military unit. A year later my brother, Edward, joined me in Ghent as he was assigned to the same unit. Our troops were led by King George II of Britain but as the unit deviated from the original plan, we suffered severe casualties. Instead of marching southward as planned, King George led of eastward where a fierce French army waited for our arrival. This attack resulted as an immense mistake as we found ourselves trapped against the River of Main. Avoiding surrender, King George led us toward the French who took position in the village of Dettingen. This became known as the Battle of Dettingen. My military unit suffered the most damage and I lost my horse as it was shot while riding me into heavy battle. Although France had the advantage, we were able to drive them out the village and occupy our victorious territory.
The Jacobite Rising
           In 1744, I was promoted by the Duke of Cumberland to captain of the 45th Regiment of Foot. After our success in Dettingen, we did not make much progress and failed to capture Lille, a city in northern France. Later this year, my brother pasted away from pulmonary tuberculosis. I was distraught but had to continue in war as Duke of Cumberland took command and our regiment was sent to reinforce them. I was made a brigade major after we left from Ghent as the vicious French troops seized the city.
In October of 1745, the Jacobite Rising broke out. The Jacobite rebellion aimed to replace George II with James III as king if England. I was ordered to defend Newcastle and prevent the rebellion from spreading eastward. Having a lack of English support for the rebellion, the Jacobites returned to Scotland. A year later, I fought in Scotland under General Henry Hawley to end the Jacobite army. Our forces fought in the Battle of Falkirk and the Battle of Culloden. In the Battle of Falkirk, we had a greater number of casualties then the Jacobites had, but that would be their last successful battle. The Battle of Culloden proved a success for our troops as we defeated the Jacobite army and ended the rebellion. During this battle, I experienced a strange encounter with my commander, the Duke of Cumberland. He had ordered me to shoot a wounded highlander. Immediately, I refused this command but commander Cumberland had already shot him down. 
1746, I returned to the Continent to serve in the War of Austrian Succession which ended in 1748 with the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle. Present day, I am posting in Stirling, Scotland. Currently I stand as a major in command of the 20th regiment. I have much free time to write now. I serve my garrison duty here in Stirling. I think much about my brother. I miss him dearly and long for his company during my battles, but he is at peace now. This post has been the last 6 years of my life. It is late and I must retire to my bed. Till next time. 

 J.W.

Source: http://www.militaryheritage.com/wolfe.htm 

No comments:

Post a Comment