July 3, 1754
Peacetime.
29 years of age, I am stationed at Glasgow. Eight years ago I was posted in Stirling and made Lieutenant Colonel of my regiment. These past eight years of my life I trained and trained physically and mentally. I took lessons that would improve my swordsman ship and attended leadership sessions that would advance my skills. I pushed my body harder than I ever had despite my suffering illness. To keep my metal state enact, I taught myself Latin and the education of mathematics.
My illness was a great thing to overcome. It slowed me down physically and mentally, but I refused to stop training. I was always coughing for long periods of time and tired easily after my training. I had difficulty breathing and often coughed blood. It was grotesque and painful yet I dealt with it and continued my learning. 
1752, I was allowed an extended leave. My first choice was to travel to Ireland in which I resided with my uncle. I visited the site of the Battle of Boyne and made a journey to Greenwich to see my childhood home where my parents dwelled. It was great to see my mother again and honored to hear that my father was promoted to general. After seeing my parents, the Duke of Cumberland granted me the freedom to go aboard into France. I quickly made my way to Paris and journeyed to the great Palace of Versailles. I came upon the Tuileries Garden and became proficient in my French while accommodating fencing skills. Finally gaining peace in my life, I requested for a longer leave but was denied when I as called back to my regiment in Glasgow, where I write this post. I am unsure of my orders by my commander but I feel another war is approaching. More blood and violence, but this is what I trained for. I pray, God keep me safe in the upcoming war.

J.W.


No comments:

Post a Comment