June 7, 1759
Quebec City.
"Gentlemen, i would rather have written that poem than take Quebec tomorrow."

Commander Montcalm
            Early in the year, my troops and I made our way down the Saint Lawrence River which leads east of Quebec City in Canada. Our enemy was Louis Joseph de Montcalm, commander of the French forces defending Quebec. The voyage up the Saint Lawrence River was harsh and treacherous in the cold conditions of Canada. The River eventually began the freeze, but I was ambitious to start the assault, thus I stationed part of my troops at the River and carried on with the others.
            The British forces continued to assault Quebec for three months. I realized that Commander Montcalm had securely prepared an army to defend Quebec as its defense increased and my other forces made little progress. To help British forces, I issued my own manifesto that came to be known as Wolfe’s Manifesto. In this written document, I attempted to enforce intimidation to the Canadians. Instead, it aroused more opposition to the British oppression and increased the size of Quebec’s army. This was ultimately depressing, but I continued to fight. After a failed attack on Beauport in north Quebec, I began to grow restless and had doubts of the actual victory we could receive.
            It is now September, and the weather grows colder. I lay here thinking of my family once more. Oh, how I wish I were home in London. Sadly this is my last post. I simply do not have sufficient time to update my life, although I do enjoy this freedom of expression. Even though the situation in Quebec is not prospering at the moment, I am proud to achieve such high rank in military status. I do hope my name will stay throughout history and leave Britain with a few successes. It is time to sleep, as the daybreak soon rises and I must arouse the troops. Once more, I pray that my troops and I shall be safe in the battles that follow at dawn.

           J.W.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Wolfe

No comments:

Post a Comment