October 15, 1756
My previous travels.
Two years later I am moved to Canterbury assigned to guard Kent with my regiment, against the threat of the French invasion. I do not have much time to write but I do intend to keep note of my travels during my peacetime service. 

The Tuileries Garden in Paris as I recall.  It is such a magnificent and beautiful sight. It is quiet and still, free of war. The roses are incredible; kept in perfect shape and color. Here I was able to freely think about everything in my life and about my brother whom I would love to bring there. I can still recall the astonishing smell of the flowers and the sweetness they brought. I had also made my way to the Palace of Versailles. A grand building indeed full of life, laughter, and power. Here, King Louis XV rules over France and demonstrates his vast amount of wealth.While in France, I had the opportunity to rejoin my comrade, Earl of Albermarle, a British Ambassador. He often entertained me and even acquired an audience with King Louis XV. I was grateful for his amusement. Taking advantage of France’s great skill in fencing, I decided to learn this technique as well as improve my French. French is an intriguing language but a beautiful one; spoken by lovers and companions. I was able to be fluent in French and practice my language skills while speaking to Albermarle.
            Present time.
French troops progress everyday. It is time for me to wake my troops and sound the alarm for their training. War is coming. 

J.W.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment